The partial reset provides a way to contact the Mediatrix unit in a known and static
state while keeping most of the configuration unchanged.
A partial reset can be performed at the initial start-up of the Mediatrix unit or on a unit
already in use where the configuration was modified in such a way that the user can no longer
access the system by the Web page or otherwise. In both cases, the user can manage the Mediatrix
unit through its Rescue interface, which is bound to the unit's WAN port (wan for the Mediatrix
4102s, and ETH1 for all other Mediatrix units). The IP address of the Rescue interface is
192.168.0.1 (IPv4) or an IPv6 Link Local address.. These connections give access to the Rescue
Management Interface where the configuration of a new unit can be completed and where an existing
configuration can be modified.
By default the Rescue Network Interface is disabled. When a partial reset is performed, the
Rescue network Interface becomes enabled and the "Power" and "Ready" LEDs are blinking at 1Hz
with 75% duty and all other LEDs are off. Once the configuration has been modified to solve the
problem that required the partial reset, it is important to disable the Rescue Network Interface
to make sure that you are no longer working in the Rescue Network Interface.
Performing a partial reset on a new unit will not modify the configuration, as it has not yet
been modified to your needs. However, a partial reset performed on a unit already in use will:
- Rollback Local Firewall settings that are not yet applied.
- Add a Local Firewall rule to allow complete access to the Rescue interface.
- Rollback NAT settings that are not yet applied.
- Add NAT rule to allow complete access to the Rescue interface.
- Cancel the changes that were being modified but not yet applied to the configuration.
- Disable any Network Interface in conflict with the Network Rescue Interface.
- Configure and enable the Rescue Network Interface to:
- use the link as the default value used by the Uplink Network Interface
- set the IP address to 192.168.0.1 and the Network Mask to 255.255.255.0.
- set the IPv6 link-local address on all network links. The IPv6 link-local address can be
found underneath the unit.
A partial reset will also modify the following parameters and preserve the values below even
after the Rescue interface has been disabled.
These changes are valid when using a MX profile. If the Mediatrix unit is not using a MX profile, the default values and therefore the behaviour of the parameters may be different.
||User(s) from profile are restored with their factory password. All other usernames
keep their password.
||User(s) from profile are restored with their factory rights.
||Each service will be configured to use Local authentication and no accounting